Recognising Port Phillip Bay as one of Victoria’s most precious natural assets, the Victorian Government is partnering with community organisations to address key issues impacting the Bay.
The objectives of the Fund are to support projects that address local and regional priorities to protect the health of the Bay and bay catchment area, including:
- encouraging partnerships across a range of interested groups and organisations who support the environmental health of the Bay;
- enhancing the amenity and environmental values in the Bay and on the foreshore; and
- reducing and addressing threats to the health of the Bay, including nutrients, pollutants and litter.
10,000 marine plant and animal species live in Port Phillip Bay, making it one of Melbourne’s most important ecosystems. In addition to providing valuable habitat, the Bay also supports recreational fishing and tourism, is the entrance to one of Australia's busiest ports, and has over 4.5 million people living and working in the catchment area.
Round 3 is now open
Applications are open from 26 February 2019 to 10 April 2019.
The following groups are eligible to apply:
- Environmental groups and networks, such as Coastcare, Friends groups and Landcare
- Volunteer-based recreational and community groups with an interest in the Bay, such as diving and naturalist groups, Scouts, Rotary, Lions, senior citizens and youth clubs
- Committees of Management
- Traditional Owners and Aboriginal community groups
- Kindergartens, Primary and Secondary Schools.
For Round 3 guidelines and FAQs please see the links below.
How to apply
Click here to start a new application
Click here to access your saved application
Previous funding rounds
This round is now closed.
39 new projects have received a total of $4.03 million to protect the health of Port Phillip Bay and the wider bay catchment area.
The 1 to 2 year projects include activities to reduce pollution in the Bay, enhance aquatic habitats, improve catchment health and increase community awareness of issues that impact the health of the Bay.
The successful applicants, projects, and funding allocations are available here.
For Round 2 guidelines and other relevant information, please see the links below.
This round is now closed.
36 new projects have received a total of $3.6 million to protect the health of Port Phillip Bay and the wider bay catchment area.
The 1 to 3 year projects include activities to reduce pollution in the Bay, enhance aquatic habitats, improve catchment health and increase community awareness of issues that impact the health of the Bay.
For Round 1 guidelines and other relevant information, please see the links below.
Sign up to the Port Phillip Bay Fund mailing List
To receive updates and news about the Port Phillip Bay Fund, sign up here
For detailed program information: